About the Queensland–Smithsonian Fellowship Program
The Queensland–Smithsonian Fellowships program provides unique opportunities to access the expertise, facilities and collections of the Smithsonian Institution. The program funds fellows from Queensland’s research, education and cultural sectors to visit the United States and/or Panama and complete a collaborative project with a Smithsonian Institution facility.
Fellowships are awarded for a diverse range of projects, including those in the natural and social sciences, natural and cultural heritage, education or museum management.
Fellows will increase their knowledge and skills in areas of mutual interest with the Smithsonian Institution, and apply these to benefit their work and their home organisations in Queensland.
Funding of up to $25,000 (excluding GST) is available to fellows for projects running for 8–16 weeks in duration. Funds are to be used for travel and a weekly living allowance.
Applications close 2pm, Thursday 30 March 2023.
An announcement of successful applications will be made mid-2023.
The Fellowship must be completed within 12 months of notification of the award.
Who can apply
The applicant organisation must be a Queensland-based research, educational, cultural institution or government agency that employs staff working in an area of interest to Smithsonian Institution facilities.
The Queensland applicant organisation nominates the proposed fellow (an employee of the agency) in the application. The applicant organisation must pay the Fellow’s salary while the Fellow undertakes the fellowship.
To be eligible, the proposed fellow must:
- be an Australian resident or have Australian residency
- live and work in Queensland
- be employed by the applicant organisation
- not have previously received a fellowship
- apply as an individual—joint applications will not be considered.
Fellowship proposals must address at least one of the target investment areas identified in the program guidelines.
Arrangements need to be made with a potential Smithsonian advisor on a project prior to submitting an application to the Queensland Government.
Visit Smithsonian Opportunities for Research to identify potential advisors and collaborators to develop your project proposal.
Guidelines and conditions
Information on eligibility criteria, how applications will be assessed and how to apply for a fellowship can be found in the program guidelines.
How to apply
You must apply online via SmartyGrants. Your application must include the following supporting documents:
- PDF signed Financial Incentive Agreement Declaration
- PDF scanned signed letter of endorsement from the application organisation (the proposed Fellow’s Queensland employer)
- PDF scanned evidence of support from the proposed hosting Smithsonian Institution facility (for example a signed letter or email).
- Queensland-Smithsonian Fellowship guidelines
- Smithsonian Opportunities for Research
- Financial Incentive Agreement Terms and Conditions
- Financial Incentive Agreement Declaration
Phone: (07) 3170 5758