Precision Livestock Management (PLM)
Institute for Future Farming Systems, Central Queensland University
CQUniversity’s Precision Livestock Management (PLM) team is recognised as an international leader in tropical livestock research. Located in the heart of the northern beef industry, the team is headquartered in the Beef Capital - Rockhampton, with access to state of the art laboratories and the Belmont Research Station for field trials. With strong links to industry and producer participation in our trials, our research program is relevant to industry needs and delivering practical solutions to the challenges producers face. Our speciality is the use of cutting edge technology to automatically gather phenotypic data such as animal liveweight, pregnancy status and parentage, as well as improve the understanding of animal behaviours, all with a view to improving on-farm profitability and productivity. Data gathered by CQUniversity’s PLM program is already supporting the cattle industry’s genetic research, assisting in the identification of animals which are more productive and fertile.
- Organisation type
- University Research Centre
- Number of research staff
- 20-100 research staff
- Central Queensland Innovation Research Precinct (CQIRP), 630 Ibis Avenue, North Rockhampton QLD 4702
Strengths and capabilities
- Sensor technology
- Data analytics
- Animal behaviour
- Livestock genetic phenotyping
- Livestock nutrition
- Research extension
- IOT - Internet of Things
Facilities and major equipment
- Central Queensland Innovation Research Precinct (CQIRP)
- Belmont Research Station
- Professor Mark—Fulbright Future Scholar with New Mexico State and Oklahoma State Universities 2019
- Professor Simon Quigley—Prof. Quigly leads CQU’s collaborative research and capacity-building program with Sam Ratulangi University.
Key science sectors
More information about the sectors this centre is involved in:
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.