CSIRO Agriculture and Food Business Unit (AF)
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
The Agriculture and Food Business Unit of CSIRO is a major unit of Australia's national science organisation - one of the largest and most diverse scientific research organisations in the world. The Unit undertakes leading animal and food research in aquaculture, crops, digital agriculture, food manufacturing, food security, future protien, horticulture, and livestock and pasture and sustainable farm managment systems. Queensland research locations include: Atherton, Bribie Island, Coopers Plains. Dutton Park, Gatton, and St Lucia.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Aquaculture research focused on farmed finfish, crustaceans and molluscs
- Cropping reseach in cotton, oil crops, proteomics and phenomcs, sugarcane and over 60 year grains research
- Expertise in molecular biology, plant physiology, agronomy and innovative gene technology for pest and disease management
Facilities and major equipment
- Atherton -Tropical Forest Research Centre
- Bribie Island Research Centre
- Cairns - Australian Tropical Forest Institute
- Coopers Plains -Health and Food Sciences Precinct
- Dutton Park - Ecosciences Precinct
- Gatton Research Facility
- St Lucia - Queensland Bioscience Precinct
- Toowoomba - Tor Street Research Facility
- Townsville - Australian Tropical Forest Institute
- Woodstock - Lansdown Pasture Research Station
Number of research staff
200-300 research staff
306 Carmody Road, St Lucia QLD 4067
- Dr Micheal Battaglia—Led the development of the amazing livestock seaweed feed supplement that will virtually eliminate methane production and increase animal productivity.
Achievements of the centre
- Development of smart phone app, Graincast, that enables Australian farmers to forecast grain yield
- Development of the SoilMapp for iPad that provides direct access to the best national soil data and information
- Providing trusted scientific advice to government and food safety regulators that shapes national food safety regulations
- Part of national organisation - Government
- Commonwealth statutory authority
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.