Australian Centre for Ecogenomics
The University of Queensland
The Australian Centre for Ecogenomics analyse sequence-based microbial communities with ecogenomics, an integrated, ecological framework using computational advances and new modelling approaches. Established 2010, the Centre provides a focal point for sequence-based analysis of microbial communities. Our research portfolio is 80% ‘applied’, focused on major national research priorities (e.g. microbial ecology, marine, mining, bacterial pathogen genomics) and 20% fundamental research. ACE provides a high quality, comprehensive, cost effective and fast sequencing service offering amplicon-based community profiling, metagenomics and metatranscriptomics with associated bioinformatics analysis as required.
- Organisation type
- University Research Centre
- Number of research staff
20-100 research staff
Level 5, Molecular Biosciences Bldg, University of Queensland, ST LUCIA QLD 4072
Strengths and capabilities
- Microbial Ecology
- Microbial Symbiosis
- Environmental and Engineered Systems Microbiology
- High throughput Sequencing Service
- Wastewater surveillance
Facilities and major equipment
- Oxford Nanopore Technology - PromethION
- Illumina NextSeq and MiSeq sequencers
- PC2 laboratories
- HPC Infrastructure
- Professor Philip Hugenholtz—Creator of Genome Taxonomy Database (GTDB)
- Professor Nicole Webster—Understanding the contribution of microbes to the health and resilience of the Great Barrier Reef
- Associate Professor Scott Beatson—Characterising the evolution of globally disseminated multidrug resistant Escherichia coli
Achievements of the centre
- Philip Hugenholtz co-founded the company Microba. The Queensland biotech has now assisted more than 10,000 Australians to assess their gut health individually or with an Australian healthcare professional.
- Genome Taxonomy Database (GTDB) is a resource for the international research community that provides a standardised microbial taxonomy based on genome phylogeny.
Key science sectors
More information about the sectors this centre is involved in:
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.