Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS)
Australian Government - Department of Industry Innovation and Science
The Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) is Australia’s premiere tropical marine research agency. We play a pivotal role in providing large-scale, long-term and world-class research that helps governments, industry and the wider community to make informed decisions about the management of Australia’s marine estate.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Provision large-scale, long-term and world-class research
- Innovative scientific and technological research
- Strategic and applied research into marine life
- Monitoring the condition and trends in health of the marine environment
- Building models and decision-support tools
- Integrated observing systems
- Robust long-term monitoring
- Effective environmental risk assessment
- Integrated monitoring program
Facilities and major equipment
- National Sea Simulator
- PC2 laboratory
- Analytical laboratory
- Chemistry laboratory
- Research vessels Solander and Cape Ferguson
- Engineering facility
- Biomolecular Analysis Facility
- Chromatography laboratory
- Symbiont Culture Facility
Number of research staff
100-200 research staff
Australian Institute of Marine Science, 1526 Cape Cleveland Rd., Cape Cleveland, 4816
- Research Scientist - Geneticist Madeleine van Oppen—Prof van Oppen, a winner the Australian Academy of Science Dorothy Hill Award and has published over 140 peer-reviewed articles.
- Senior Principal Research Scientist Janice Lough—Dr Lough is a distinguished climate scientist with over 150 peer-reviewed publications.
- Principal Research Scientist Katharina Fabricius—Has published over 100 journal articles and book chapters and awarded the 2016 International Society for Reef Studies (ISRS) Eminence Award
Achievements of the centre
- Explained the major decline of coral cover over the last 27 years
- Provided important insights into historical coral growth rates and climate impacts
- Research program at Scott Reef is one of the longest and most comprehensive investigations of a coral reef system in Australia and serves as model engagement between industry and science.
Other centre in Queensland
- Commonwealth statutory authority
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.