The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Bribie Island Research Centre (BIRC)
Agri-Science Queensland, Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
The Centre occupies 13 ha at Woorim on the surf side of Bribie Island. It plays a significant role in technological development and extension to the aquaculture industry in tropical and subtropical Queensland, as well as fisheries management and aquatic ecological research.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Fish and crustacean husbandry
- Bioremediation of aquaculture waste water
- Management of biofouling and harmful algae in ponds
- Energy efficiency of pond aeration
- Fisheries stock assessment and monitoring
- Inland fisheries habitat restoration and enhancement
- Crustacean fertility research
Facilities and major equipment
- - Seawater supply, filtration and aeration systems - Freshwater and seawater recirculating systems - Energy efficient water heating and chilling systems - Four 3.2ML ponds and four 300KL ponds - Fish, molluscan and crustacean hatchery facilities - Physical Containment Level 2 (PC2) laboratory - Controlled environment and wet laboratories - Algal culture and feed preparation laboratories - Pond -scale bio -remediation filtration systems - Advanced building management and monitoring system
Number of research staff
Upto 20 research staff
144 North Street,, Woorim QLD 4507
- Queensland Government – Agency
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.