Cancer and Ageing Research Program (CARP)
Translational Research Institue, Centre for Genomic and Personalised Health, Queenlsand University of Technology
Half of all global deaths will be from cancer by 2030. The Cancer and Ageing Research Program team of leading and emerging researchers are working to uncover the universal processes of what goes wrong in our cells as we age that allow cancers and ageing diseases to develop. CARP is identifying the changes that do occur in our cells and its genome which makes us age and develop ageing diseases such as cancer, arthritis and Alzheimer’s disease. The CARP Team aim to develop therapeutics and treatments that can stop cancers and ageing diseases before they start.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Drug discovery
- Pre-clinical animal models
- Ageing and Dementia
- Combinatorial chemistry
- High co-throughput screening
- Molecular and cellular biology
Facilities and major equipment
- InCell Analyzer 2200 and InCell 6500HS
- Cytell Cell Imaging System
- DeltaVision Elite and DeltaVision OMX Super Resolution Microscope
- High Content Holomonitor M4 - Holographic Microscope
- GE Biacore T200 Surface Plasmon Resonance System
- Isothermal Titration Calorimetry (ITC)
- Circular Dichroism Spectrophotometer CD-spec J-1500
- Physical Containment Class 2 (PC2) laboratory
- Pre-clinical models laboratory
Number of research staff
20-100 research staff
37 Kent Street , Woolloongabba, Queensland, 4102
- Prof Derek Richard—Discovered the human SSB family of proteins and their critical role in maintaining genetic stability - Expert on DNA stability and repair.
- Prof Kenneth O'Byrne—Involved in over 200 Clinical Trials and expertise in biomarker identification in biopsies and drug resistance linked to cancer stemness
- Dr Emma Bolderson—Leader of the Molecular Biology of Ageing group and the co-leader of the Genome Stability and Disease program.
- Research Hospital
- University Research Centre
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.