The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Centre for Tropical Water and Aquatic Ecosystem Research - Cairns (TropWATER)
James Cook University
TropWATER - The Centre for Tropical Water and Aquatic Ecosystem Research undertakes multidisciplinary research in freshwater, estuarine and marine waters, with expertise from ecology, water quality, hydrology, engineering, physics, oceanography, modelling and resource economics . It is an amalgamation of aquatic expertise from across James Cook University that brings together over 130 research and support staff and over 80 post-graduate students.
Key science sectors
- Defence, aviation and space
- Environment and nature
- Food and agriculture
- Life sciences
- Social sciences
Strengths and capabilities
- Assessing impacts of dredging
- Working with traditional owners
- Monitoring mining operations for water quality
- Providing expert advice for management of ports
- Genetic detection of aquatic fauna from water samples
- Management of runoff from agricultural areas
- Planning and management of water resource developments and irrigation
- Exotic fish and aquatic weed control
- Environmental Impact Statements
- Tracing the sources of pollutants from different land uses
Facilities and major equipment
- Water quality laboratory
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Hydrology Laboratory
- Soils, GIS and Climatology Laboratories
- Genetics laboratory
- Seagrass laboratory
- Fleet of boats and vehicles
Number of research staff
20-100 research staff
Building E1, James Cook University, Smithfield, 4878
- Professor Damien Burrows—Hub leader - National Environment Science Programme Tropical Water Quality and on the Independent Expert Panel for the Great Barrier Reef
- Dr Rob Coles—Internationally recognised seagrass expert
- Professor Norm Duke—Internationally recognised mangrove expert - a specialist in global mangrove floristics, biogeography, and climate change adaptation.
Other centre in Queensland
- University Research Centre
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.