Diamantina Institute (UQDI)
The University of Queensland
The Diamantina Institute has a particular focus on severe and chronic diseases such as cancer, and diseases involving the immune system, including arthritis, chronic infections and diabetes. We are dedicated to improving the management of these conditions through biomedical research into their causes, and we place particular emphasis on translation of that research into new therapies and diagnostic methods that make a difference to wellbeing. We are proud to be a leading institute of The University of Queensland, and support its missions of learning, discovery and engagement through: training of the next generation of scientists and clinician scientists; partnering with the community, and collaborations with researchers worldwide who share our aims and research focus.
- Organisation type
- University Research Centre
- Number of research staff
200-300 research staff
Diamantina Institute, Translational Research Institute, 37 Kent Street, Woolloongabba QLD 4102
Strengths and capabilities
- Cancer research
- Genomic Medicine
Facilities and major equipment
- Access to facilities of the Translational Research Institute
- Professor Ranjeny Thomas—Has developed a diagnostic test for juvenile diabetes and founded UniQuest’s Dendright that is developing a rheumatoid arthritis vaccine.
- Associate Professor Michelle Hill—Michelle was awarded an Australian Research Council Future Fellowship for her novel approach to understanding cellular lipid raft function
- Professor David Evans—Led the genetic studies of the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children. Now leads work on understanding genomic causes of diseases.
Achievements of the centre
- Discovery, development and release of the world’s first cervical cancer vaccine
- Early clinical trial success for a new vaccine-style therapeutic approach to treat rheumatoid arthritis
- Development of a test that will direct treatment choices for patients with a specific form of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
Key science sectors
More information about the sectors this centre is involved in:
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.