Engage Research Lab
University of the Sunshine Coast
Engage Research Lab uses technology and psychology to find real solutions to real problems for real people. We work across many areas of need including mental health and suicide prevention, child abuse prevention, improved road safety, environmental management, reducing childhood obesity, fostering healthy aging, and helping people living with intellectual disability. We are a multi-disciplinary team with a wealth of real world experience, who work alongside our community partners to find novel solutions to their wicked problems, We use existing cost effective technologies (such as smartphones, videogames) to empower, engage and educate users, rigorous research evaluations to measure the effacy of any solution, and publish in the very best international journals and media. We offer research Masters and PhD programs, and access and training to the very latest technologies. Ultimately, we are passionate about creating real meaningful programs for use by real people.
- Organisation type
- University Research Centre
- Number of research staff
Up to 20 research staff
Engage Research Lab, Building E1.31, University of the Sunshine Coast, 90 Sippy Downs Drive,Sippy Downs QLD 4556
Strengths and capabilities
- User-centered research and design
- Sociotechnical solutions, simulation and training
- Mobile technologies, media and social media
- Augmented, virtual and mixed Reality
- Video games research and design
- Behavioural psychology and behaviour change
- Biometrics, biofeedback, and analytics
- User experience (UX) and user interface (UI) design
- Social change
Facilities and major equipment
- Virtual and augmented reality technologies
- Video game development studios
- 3D CAVE
- One-way observation studios
- Audio/video recording studio, hardware and software
- Biometric sensors (EEG, EKG, EMG, GSC, HR, HRV, BP)
- Motion tracking, positional tracking, movement analysis
- Omni-directional motion platforms
- Driving simulator
- Professor of Interactive Media Christian Jones—Published in over 100 journals, won research and teaching awards, lead multi-million dollar grant projects.
- Lecturer in International Business Dr Jacqueline Burgess—International reputation for excellence in video game research, has partnered with multiple creative industries businesses.
- Associate Professor in Health Promotion Florin Oprescu—Leader in health promotion, communication, injury prevention, and translation of scientific findings, especially for vulnerable populations.
Achievements of the centre
- Created the award winning Orbit Sexual Abuse Prevention Program, successfully used in thousands of school across 26 countries
- Created a youth suicide prevention app to help youth have conversations about mental health and how to provide peer support
- Created Serious Urban Play - an award winning free multiplayer game for urban planning education (any smartphone, tablet or PC)
Key science sectors
More information about the sectors this centre is involved in:
- Advanced manufacturing
- Digital economy
- Environment and nature
- Health and medical
- Social sciences
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.