The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Institute for Social Science Research (ISSR)
The University of Queensland
The Institute for Social Science Research (ISSR) is The University of Queensland’s flagship social science institute and one of Australia’s leading providers of research, evaluation and research training. The Institute is committed to improving economic and social wellbeing for individuals, households, communities and regions in Australia and internationally. Government agencies, industry partners and charitable foundations choose to work with ISSR for its methodological integrity and objectivity, and its practical application of research to relevant social issues. ISSR also hosts the ARC Centre of Excellence for Children and Families over the Life Course (the Life Course Centre), and is a partner in the UQ Aboriginal Environments Research Centre.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Social disadvantage
- Housing and homelessness
- Indigenous cultures
- Community development
- Advanced text analytics
- Policy and program evaluation
- Research methods training
- Large data sets and social statistics
Facilities and major equipment
- -assisted telephone interview (CATI) facility
- Voxco software for survey data collection
- Analytics software licenses
- Training laboratory (16-40 people)
Number of research staff
100-200 research staff
Level 2, Cycad Building (1018), 80 Meiers Rd, Indooroopilly, 4068
- Professor Mark Western—Research on social inequality, and policy development for research, research training and Higher Education.
- Professor Janeen Baxter—Longitudinal research of life transitions, formation / dissolution of families and households, gender inequality, and social disadvantage.
Achievements of the centre
- The Life Course Centre advances internationally collaborative research that addresses intergenerational transmission of disadvantage
- The Paid Parental Leave evaluation - a massive scale public policy evaluation impacting labour participation and family health/wellbeing
- Research for the US Department of Defense led to development of software to enable real-time analysis of concepts in unstructured data.
- University Research Centre
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.