The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Maroochy Research Facility
Agri-Science Queensland, Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
The 64ha facility located on the outskirts of Nambour provides research and extension in subtropical and tropical horticulture across a range of species and commodities. The facility provides tailored research solutions to assist clients in reaching their targets, whether they are commercial, environmental or social.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Development/improvement of new Banana varieties using tissue culture
- Access to improved banana cultivars via quarantine and in vitro collection
- Evaluation of macadamia germplasm and varietal development
- Development of clean plant schemes for Biosecurity best practice
- Evaluation of diverse annona germplasm collection (Custard Apples)
- Evaluation of diverse collection of diospyros kaki (persimmon) germplasm
- Breeding low chill, high quality stonefruit varieties
- Breeding improved strawberry varieties for summer and winter production
- Improved production using beneficial micro
- Evaluation of pineapple germplasm and varietal development
Facilities and major equipment
- 64ha of sloping terrain with predominantly sandy loam soils
- Banana quarantine laboratory
- On site administration buildings and conference room
- Research laboratories including PC2 and Quarantine facilities
- Glasshouses, misthouses, controlled environment rooms and cold rooms
- Plant and equipment to support support activity
- Sheds including mechanical workshop, chemical stores, machinery stores
Number of research staff
20-100 research staff
47 Mayers Road, Nambour, 4560
- Queensland Government – Agency
- Queensland Government – Partner
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.