National Centre for Neuroimmunology and Emerging Diseases (NCNED)
Menzies Health Institute Queensland, Griffith University, Menzies Health Institute Queensland, Griffith University
The NCNED is a world-class research facility focusing on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). Our research is dedicated to the identification of the pathology, development of a screen/diagnostic test and pharmacological treatments for ME/CFS patients. Our aim is to translate research to improve ME/CFS patient outcomes in the area of preventative medicine, social and clinical care, and public health.
- Organisation type
- University Research Centre
- Number of research staff
Up to 20 research staff
Level 9, G40 Ian O'Connor Building, Griffith University, Gold Coast campus, Southport QLD 4222
Strengths and capabilities
- ME/CFS research
- Patch-clamp Electrophysiology
- Therapeutic development
- Screening/diagnostic test development
Facilities and major equipment
- Physical containment class 2 (PC2) laboratory
- Electrophysiology laboratory
- Flow cytometry equipment
- Cell culture laboratory
- NCNED Biobank for ME/CFS
- Professor Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik—Identified transient receptor potential ion channel dysfunction in ME/CFS patients
- Associate Professor Leighton Barnden—25 years experience in Nuclear Medicine and has reported on abornal brain MRI findings in ME/CFS
- Dr Kiran Thapaliya—Expertise in modeling MRI signals to study tissue microstructures using multi-echo gradient echo at 7 tesla.
Achievements of the centre
- Identified transient receptor potential melastatin 3 ion channel dysfunction in ME/CFS patients
- Restoration of impaired transient receptor potential melastatin 3 ion channel function in natural killer cells of ME/CFS patients
- Identified neuronal microstructural changes in ME/CFS patients
Key science sectors
More information about the sectors this centre is involved in:
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.