Please complete this 2-minute survey to help us improve our products and services:
Northern Fisheries Centre (NFC)
Agri-Science Queensland, Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
The Norther Fisheries Centre undertakes research, development and extension in many aspects of fisheries monitoring and research. Research is focused on two main areas: sustainable production of wild fisheries found in tropical estuarine, inshore and offshore reef waters; and tropical mariculture of high-value species such as coral reef fish and tropical rock lobsters. It also provides support to the nearby Aquaculture and Stock Enhancement Facility.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Fish ageing monitoring
- Monitoring of vertebrates
- Direct access to Trinity Inlet
- Fish otolith (inner ear) imaging
Facilities and major equipment
- Monkman Research Facility, Green Island
- Life support for mariculture
- Research laboratories, freezers and cold rooms
- Mechanical workshop, prepartion rooms and chemical stores
- Plant and equipment to support research activity
Number of research staff
Upto 20 research staff
38-40 Tingira Street, Portsmith, Cairns QLD 4870
- Queensland Government – Partner
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.