The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
RECOVER Injury Research Centre
The University of Queensland, Motor Accident Insurance Commission
RECOVER conducts research aimed at increasing our understanding of the physical and psychological consequences of injuries, especially those sustained in motor vehicle crashes. This research helps to develop more effective treatments to lessen the physical and psychological suffering that can arise following injury. Researchers at Recover are recognised internationally for their work on: the factors for delayed recovery; the development of treatments to manage complications arising from injury, and the development of accessible environments for individuals who remain disabled following an injury.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Delayed recovery
- Risk for prolonged disability
- Psycho-social risk factors
- Pathogenesis of whiplash
- Mental health consequences of injury
- Pain and disability
- Accessible environments
- Housing for individuals with disabilities
- Trauma in children
- Successful rehabilitation
Facilities and major equipment
- Quantitative sensory testing equipment
- Virtual reality of head movement
- Housing design simulation
Number of research staff
20-100 research staff
288 Herston Road, Level 7, Herston, 4006
- Professor Trevor Russell—Use of mobile technologies and telecommunication tools for both clinical service
- Professor Michele Sterling—The foremost expert in in the pathogenesis of whiplash injury in the world
Achievements of the centre
- Developed the Clinical Prediction Rule for Whiplash Injury
- Most cited research on psychosocial determinants of problematic recovery following injury
- Pain Catastrophizing Scale (PCS) used in the assessment protocols of pain clinics and rehabilitation centres
- University Research Centre
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.