South Johnstone Research Facility
Agri-Science Queensland, Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
The 46ha South Johnstone Research Facility is recognised as a premier North Queensland research facility for research, development and extension relating to banana, sugar cane and tropical horticultural crops.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Extensive banana germplasm collection
- Evaluation of banana production and supply chain systems
- Evaluation of fertilisation and soil health regimes
- Cyclone resilience and production trials in tropical tree crops
- Weed research
- Research into Panama disease
Facilities and major equipment
- 46ha ranging from basalt base, Tully Red Loam and river bank soil
- Onsite administration complex with conference facility
- Research laboratories, glasshouses, greenhouses and coldrooms
- Sheds including mechanical workshop, chemical stores, washdown bays and post harvest shed
- Plant and equipment to support research activities
Number of research staff
Up to 20 research staff
24 Experimental Station Road, South Johnstone, 4859
- Queensland Government – Partner
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.