Thompson Institute (SCMNI)
University of the Sunshine Coast
The Thompson Institute is a hub for world-class mental health research, teaching and clinical services. The Institute undertakes research for some of Australia's most pressing mental health issues, including dementia, suicide prevention, post-traumatic stress disorder and youth mental health. The Institute is committed to finding cures and preventions for these conditions through world-class onsite research and educating the next generation of doctors and researchers working in the field. The Institute uses a unique, integrated model of CARE: Clinics, Advocacy, Research and Education. This care model enables fast, efficient translation of research breakthrough into clinical practice. USC received an Excellence in Research for Australia performance rating of 5 for neuroscience, well above world standard, as an outcome of the Institute's research.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Youth mental health: longitudinal study throughout adolescence
- Suicide prevention research, trials and community-based interventions
- Dementia: researching a multidisciplinary lifestyle intervention
- PTSD: clinical trials of novel treatments and integrated care
- Indigenous mental health: adapting a proven suicide prevention model
- Fast translation of research breakthroughs through integrated model
Number of research staff
20-100 research staff
12 Innovation Pkwy, Birtinya QLD 4575
- Professor Jim Lagopoulos—Use of neuroimaging and magnetic resonance imaging in mental health and dementia, PTSD, and traumatic brain injury.
- Professor Daniel Hermens—First to describe sex-based differences in patterns of nervous system activity in ADHD
Achievements of the centre
- Adolescent Brain Study (LABS) 5 year research project to better understand the adolescent brain
- iHelp - digital suicide prevention tool - actioning of pathways to help to connect persons at risk of suicide and their supporters
- University Research Centre
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.