Viertel Cancer Research Centre (CRC)
Cancer Council Queensland
Cancer research is fundamental to Cancer Council Queensland's vision of a cancer-free Queensland. The Viertel Cancer Research Centre conducts research in cancer control with a focus on issues of importance to Queenslanders. We conduct research in three main areas: psycho-oncology (understanding the impact of cancer, how we can improve psychosocial outcomes, and how we can translate these results into improved cancer services); epidemiology (understanding patterns and trends in cancer diagnosis and survival to identify areas of improvement or need); and community engagement (helping to understand, support and work with the community to improve cancer control).
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Applied research in psycho-oncology
- Community-based research in cancer control
- Geospatial mapping of cancer outcomes
- Descriptive epidemiology of cancer
- Research into community engagement for cancer control
- Epidemiology of paediatric cancer
Number of research staff
20-100 research staff
Cancer Council Queensland, 553 Gregory Terrace, Fortitude Valley QLD 4004
- Professor Jeffrey Dunn—Global endorsement of distress as the 6th vital sign in cancer care (IPOS International Standard of Quality Cancer Care).
- Professor Joanne Aitken—Contribution to development of international guidelines for collection of paediatric cancer stages in population cancer registries.
- Professor Peter Baade—Research focusing on patterns of cancer outcomes, and understanding the geographical variation and inequalities in those outcomes.
Achievements of the centre
- Evidence-based model of psychological care for men with prostate cancer now on the International Cancer Control Partnership Portal
- The Australian Paediatric Cancer Registry, a unique population register and national resource for childhood cancer research
- Novel insights from geospatial analyses of cancer outcomes that impacted on health policy across Queensland.
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.