Please complete this 2-minute survey to help us improve our products and services:
Walkamin Research Facility
Agri-Science Queensland, Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
Walkamin Research Facility is located in the elevated tropical environment of the Atherton Tablelands, central to the region's horticultural and cropping industries. Walkamin is primarily a horticulture research facility, providing opportunities for research related to mangoes, avocados, coffee, cashews, pasture grasses and legumes, maize, cereals and plantation forestry tree. In addition, the facility retains infrastructure for freshwater acquaculture research. Soil types are typical of the district and are of mainly basaltic origin, developed under open forest.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Located in Australia's unique elevated tropical enviroment
- Located in a diverse tropical horticultural and farming area
- Reliable climate with a marked wet and dry season
- Will cope with significant impact of climate change and water availability
- Extensive aquaculture pond system comprising 42 ponds
- Geographic agricultural hub that can support research and development for developing countries
- Official Bureau of Meteorology site with extensive recording history
- Proximity to industry clients and universities etc.
Facilities and major equipment
- Walkamin Facility 259 Ha
- Research Labs, coldrooms and drying facilities
- Facilities for pot to plot to paddock research
- Chemical store with modern spraying equipment
- Sheds including mechanical workshop and machinery shed
- Specialist planting equipment for small plots to large areas
- Security and biosecurity measures in place
- Freshwater acquaculture infrastructure
- Official Bureau of Metereology site with extensive history recording history
Number of research staff
Upto 20 research staff
6302 Kennedy Highway,, Walkamin, 4872
- Queensland Government – Partner
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.