Advanced Water Management Centre (AWMC)
The University of Queensland
The Advanced Water Management Centre is an international centre of excellence in innovative water technology and management. With over 20 years of research in this field, the AWMC has developed leading expertise in education, research and consulting. Its particular strength is the close integration of biological science, process engineering and informatics. This unique combination forms the basis for ground-breaking research but also offers some exciting opportunities for development and application of user-specific solutions to challenging environmental problems. Recent water and energy crisises has brought about major change in the water industry. The shift towards a true urban water cycle, both at local and regional scale, poses numerous challenges and opportunities for the water industry as a whole. The combined efforts of our programs are achieving sustainable outcomes for the water industry including protecting our water resources and critical infrastructure.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Greenhouse gas research
- Bioelectrochemical systems
- Microbial electrosynthesis
- Sewer corrosion and odour managment
- Metabolic engineering of microbes
- Understanding and mitigation of methane and nitrous oxide emissions
- Strategies for sustainable purified recycled water
Facilities and major equipment
- Physical Containment Class 2 (PC2) Laboratory
- Analytical Services Laboratory
- Environmental Microbiology Laboratory
Number of research staff
20-100 research staff
Level 4, Gehrmann Building (60), The University of Queensland, Brisbane, 4072
- Professor Zhiguo Yuan AM—Fellow of the Australian Academy and listed as one of Engineers Australia’s Top 100 Most Influential Engineers 2015
- Professor Jurg Keller—An Australian Research Council Professorial Fellow with more than 140 international conference publications
- Professor Damien Batstone—Chair of the IWA Anaerobic Digestion Specialist Group, 135 international journal articles and 200+ international conference publications.
Achievements of the centre
- AWMC research has been commercialised into three businesses Cloevis, Bilexys and Lodomat, all which have large impacts on the water industry.
- Professor Yuan received the 2015 (ATSE) Clunies Ross Award for his innovative technologies.
- Sewer Corrosion and Odour: Putting Science in Sewers project received the 2014 Global Project Innovation Award (Applied Research).
- University Research Centre
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.