Centre for Coal Seam Gas (UQ-CCSG)
The University of Queensland
UQ-CCSG is an applied research centre developing new knowledge and expertise that will enable the coal seam gas sector to meet Australia's energy needs whilst addressing community, government and industry challenges. The Centre brings more than 50 researchers from 18 schools and centres across The University of Queensland together with national and international academic partners, to address issues across four key areas: water, social performance, geoscience and petroleum engineering. The research environment is highly collaborative, with researchers working closely with representatives of the four member Coal Seam Gas companies, Queensland state government agencies and specialist advisors. UQ-CCSG also works with industry members to provide many opportunities for students to develop a practical understanding of industry operations, which enhancing their skills for employment in both industry and academic roles. UQ_CCSG is part of the UQ (Energy Initiative) "transformation" agenda.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Petroleum engineering
- Unconventional gas (onshore)
- Groundwater/gas interactions
- Geological and hydrogeological modelling
- Geostatistics and mathematical techniques
- Data analytics
- Social impacts
- Community and business resilience
Number of research staff
Upto 20 research staff
Sir James Foots Building (#47A), The University of Queensland, Brisbane, 4072
- Professor Andrew Garnett—Over 30 years’ world-wide experience with oil majors in conventional and unconventional hydrocarbon exploration, appraisal and development projects
- Professor Jim Underschultz
Achievements of the centre
- The online 3D Water Chemistry Atlas provides users with visualisations integrating groundwater data with a static geological model
- The online Boomtown Toolkit helps communities to track key socio-economic indicators and understand the impacts of change.
- University Research Centre
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.