Centre for Crop Health (CCH)
University of Southern Queensland
The Centre for Crop Health is a multidisciplinary research centre that conducts focussed research on: identifying genes conferring improved crop health and disease resistance, examining the genetics and biology of crop pathogens, improving disease management in farming systems and the effects of climate variability on crop health and nutritional value. Our focus is on delivering and communicating research outcomes that will improve crop health, increase sustainability and profitability for rural communities and enhance global food security.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Summer crop health research
- Winter crop health research
- Integrated crop nematology research
- Regional, national and international recognition of research outcomes
- Strong industry links
- Practical, viable disease management options
- Molecular biology expertise
- Plant physiology expertise
- Microbiology expertise
Facilities and major equipment
- Physical Containment Class 2 laboratories
- Controlled environment facilities for plant growth
- Plant disease inoculation equipment
- Nematology laboratory
- Plant genetics and molecular laboratories
- Glasshouses/preparation spaces
Number of research staff
Upto 20 research staff
Block D, West Street, Toowoomba, 4350
- Professor Gavin Ash—Internationally recognised for research in biopesticides and plant disease diagnostics.
- Professor John Thompson—World leading researcher in root-lesion nematodes and crop science
- Associate Professor Adam Sparks—International research in Southeast Asia in rice disease modelling
Achievements of the centre
- International recognition of research in climate variability, crop improvement, farming systems biology and pathogen genetics and biology.
- Strong international links with India, South Africa, South-East Asia, Japan, China, Turkey, North America and Papua New Guinea.
- University Research Centre
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.