Forensic and Scientific Services (FSS)
Forensic and Scientific Services are part of the government response to threats to public health, threats to the environment, epidemics, civil emergencies, criminal investigations and coroners' inquiries into reportable deaths. We provide services to the private and public sectors in forensics, public health and environmental science. We are a trusted, court-tested and proven service provider. We are the state reference laboratory for a number of diseases and organisms of public health significance. Our areas of expertise include: police services—DNA profiling and examinations, and forensic chemistry testing; clinical forensic medicine—examinations and treatment of victims and alleged perpetrators of crime; forensic and coronial services—autopsies; and public and environmental health—identifying chemicals, radiation, bacteria and viruses in environmental and biological samples to ensure the safety of our food, drinking water, soil, air and waterways.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Virological and microbiological diagnostic testing and advice
- Whole Genome Sequencing
- Radiation advisory and measurement services
- Clandestine laboratory analysis
- DNA analysis
- Medical jurisprudence (legal medicine)
- Drug testing and analysis
- Forensic medicine
- Food and country of origin testing
- Algal identification, enumeration and toxin analysis
Facilities and major equipment
- Physical Containment Class 3 (PC3) laboratory
- Physical Containment Class 4 (PC4) laboratory
- Environmental calibration facility
- Protection level survey meter calibration facility
- Gamma spectrometry laboratory
- Forensic laboratories
- Organic and inorganic chemistry laboratories
- Infectious diseases and public health laboratories
Number of research staff
20-100 research staff
Block 1, 39 Kessels Road, Coopers Plains, 4108
- Doctor Amy Jennison—Applying whole genome sequencing to disease outbreaks
- Principle Health Physicist Dr Ross Kleinschmidt—Developing guidelines, procedures and novel, rapid radioanalytical techniques for use and promotion by the Int. Atomic Energy Agency.
Achievements of the centre
- World Health Organization (WHO) collaborating centre for reference and research on Leptospirosis , Australia and Western Pacific Region.
- Isolating and sequencing of new Dengue virus strain.
- Queensland Government
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.