The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Griffith Centre for Coastal Management (GCCM)
The GCCM conducts research contributing to all aspects of sustainable management of coastal regions. The Centre has successful collaborations with industry and other research organisations, which provide the basis for access to world-class research and management practices. GCCM also facilitates community education and engagement programs to help maximise understanding of natural coastal processes and management strategies of local beaches, foreshores and dunes. The Centre's research programs cover: - Estuarine modelling - Coastlines - Ocean coastal dynamics - Climate change impact and adaptation - Infrastructure and technology - Urban catchments and waterways.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Sustainable management of urban environments
- Expertise in impacts of climate change on coastlines
- Wave climate forecasting
- Numerical modelling of coastal hydrology and hydrodynamics
- Coastal engineering design and technology
- Flood plain modelling and management
- Urban catchment management
- Intergrated water resource management
- Expertise in coastal hydrodynamics and sedimentary processes
- Coastal community engagement and education
Facilities and major equipment
- Offshore observatory
- Research vessels x6
- Acoustic doppler current profiler
- Metocean station
- Rapid deployment survey vessel
- Remote operated vehicle
- 3D LIDAR survey capability
- Coastal Community Education and Engagement toolbox
- Coastal modelling software (FV Com, Delft 3D, ROMS, Mike21)
Number of research staff
20-100 research staff
Room 0.03, GT2, Gold Coast campus, Griffith University, 4222
- Professor Rodger Tomlinson—Expertise in climate change adaptation, coastal engineering and coastal processes.
- Dr Serena Lee—Expertise in inundation modelling and impacts from sea level rise
- Dr Andrew Brooks—Expertise in coastal policy and economics
Achievements of the centre
- Winner of the Research category at the 2015 Australian Coastal Awards
- Winner of the Community Engagement category at the 2015 Australian Coastal Awards
- Development of a storm tide Decision Support System for emergency management
- University Research Centre
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.