Mater Research is a world class medical research institute based at South Brisbane. Our bench to bedside philosophy means we work across Mater Health’s hospitals and health services, and the world-class Translational Research Institute (TRI). We work closely with Mater Health and Mater Education to turn scientific discovery into the best possible treatment, care, and outcomes for patients and our broader community. With expertise across all facets of medical research—study design, ethics and governance, data collection, biobank management, analysis, and implementation science—we are responsible for robust management of all research and clinical trials at Mater. We also maintain a broad external focus, horizon scanning national and international high quality research to reduce duplication of effort and wasted resources.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Mothers’, babies’ and women’s health
- Cancer biology and care
- Neurosciences and cognitive health
- Chronic disease biology and care
- Optimising acute care
Facilities and major equipment
- PC2 Laboratories
- PCR Analysis Unit
- Genomic Analysis Unit
- Metabolic Analysis Unit
- Single Cell Isolation
Number of research staff
300-500 research staff
Level 3, Aubigny Place, Raymond Terrace, South Brisbane, 4101
- Associate Professor Ingrid Winkler—Her team identified a molecule that regulates stem cell function, which may make chemotherapy safer. Findings published in Nature Medicine.
- Professor Mike McGuckin—His team discovered cytokine IL-22 may help manage insulin production in diabetes patients. Findings published in Nature Medicine.
Achievements of the centre
- Mater researcher led an international study of stillbirth rates in high-income countries, findings published in The Lancet.
- Research findings published in Nature Medicine identify a molecule that regulates stem cell function, which may make chemotherapy safer. -
Other centre in Queensland
- Research Hospital
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.