Minerals Industry Safety and Health Centre (MISHC)
Sustainable Minerals Institute
MISHC is internationally recognised as a world-class centre of excellence and a leading provider of minerals industry risk management education for the global minerals industry. MISHC undertakes research in: major hazard management and emergency preparedness; RISKGATE - an online risk management system designed to support and assist in the analysis of priority unwanted events in mining operations; human factors, safe design, new technologies and transport safety; musculoskeletal injury risks associated with mining; reducing risks associated with mining equipment; and mining and health. MISHC is one of seven centres that comprise the Sustainable Minerals Institute (SMI) within The University of Queensland.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Applied Research
- Hazard Management
- Musculoskeletal injury risks
- Human Factors of Mining
- Workplace Safety and Health performance indicators
Number of research staff
Upto 20 research staff
Sustainable Minerals Institute, , The University of Queensland, Brisbane, 4072
- Professor David Cliff— Expertise in principal hazard management, health and safety systems and occupational health management
- Professor Robin Burgess-Limerick—Has published more than 100 refereed publications
- Doctor Carmel Bofinger—Expert health and safety in the mining industry with particular expertise in risk management, fitness for work and occupational health
Achievements of the centre
- RISKGATE, Major Hazard Risk Management Portal for Coal Mining Industry
- GMIRM, worldwide professional level education and training in risk management
- University Research Centre
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.