Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, JCU (QCIF)
Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation
QCIF advances research excellence and productivity through the use of advanced informatics and computation. QCIF provides expert consulting and skills development in the application of informatics to research communities. The Centre also delivers high-performance infrastructure (HPC, cloud computing, data storage), services and support required to achieve excellence in computation and data-driven collaborative research and its application in industry. QCIF operates with its members and partners delivering services to research throughout Queensland, and as part of the national digital infrastructure for research coordinated through the national National eResearch Collaboration Tools and Resources (NeCTAR) and the Research Data Services Infrastructure programs.
Key science sectors
- Environment and nature
- Food and agriculture
- Health and medical
- ICT and multimedia
- Life sciences
- Social sciences
Strengths and capabilities
- QFAB Bioinformatics
- High Performance Computing
- Cloud computing
- Big data storage
- Data management
- Data analytics
Facilities and major equipment
- Research cloud computing: 5,500 cores
- High-availability data storage: 18 petabytes
- Data-intensive high-performance computing: 1,500 cores
- High-performance cloud computer cluster: 1,500 cores
- Large memory nodes: 1 TB each
- ReDBox data management software product
Number of research staff
20-100 research staff
JCU eResearch Centre, Building 17, Room 145, Douglas Campus, James Cook University, TOWNSVILLE, 4811
Achievements of the centre
- Part of the Australian national NeCTAR research cloud using OpenStack to operate a large research cloud across eight separate institutions.
- Part of the Australian national Research Data Services Infrastructure project offering large distributed storage to all Australian research organisations.
- Part of a distributed project building a data platform involving the analysis of multiple 'omics'to design new drugs to combat pathogens.
Other centres in Queensland
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, UQ (primary)
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, QUT
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, USQ
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, GU
- Queensland Cyber Infrastructure Foundation, CQU
- private company
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.