Please complete this 2-minute survey to help us improve our products and services:
Research Hub for Advanced Prawn Breeding
Australian Research Council, James Cook University
The goal of the Research Hub for Advanced Prawn Breeding is to develop and transfer to the farmed black tiger prawn industry the capacity to benefit from advanced genomic-informed breeding programs. The Hub is: developing comprehensive genomic resources for the black tiger prawn including a draft genome; acquiring necessary quantitative genetic information for traits; developing industrial-scale disease testing and phenotypic data collection processes; and developing genetic algorithms to allow a multi-trait genomic selection approach to be practiced in breeding programs. The Australian Research Council Industrial Transformation Research Hub for Advanced Prawn Breeding is a consortium involving researchers and industry from James Cook University, CSIRO, Australian Genome Research Facility, University of Sydney, Vlaams Instituut voor Biotechnologie and Seafarms Group.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Developing disease resistance in prawns
- Penaeus monodon (Giant tiger prawn)
- Phenotypic data collection
- Multi-trait genomic selection
- Industrial Transformation Research
Facilities and major equipment
- CSIRO Bribie Island Research Facility
- Molecular Ecology and Evolutionary Laboratory (MEEL), JCU
- Three prawn farms (160ha total) operated by Seafarms Group
- Australian Genome Research Facility Ltd
- Marine and Aquaculture Research Facilities Unit, JCU
Number of research staff
20-100 research staff
Sir George Fisher Building 32, James Cook University, Townsville, 4811
- Professor Dean Jerry—Professor Jerry advises on selective breeding programs for pearl oysters, marine prawn (shrimp), barramundi and redclaw crayfish
- Associate Professor Kyall Zenger—A/Prof Zenger has extensive experience in animal production and quantitative/evolutionary genetics in aquatic and terrestrial animals
Achievements of the centre
- First Australian Research Council’s (ARC) Industrial Transformation Research Program (ITRP) for James Cook University.
- Australian Research Centre Industrial Transformation Research Hubs - Headquarters
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.