Royal Brisbane and Womens Hospital (RBWH)
The RBWH is a quaternary and tertiary referral teaching and research hospital providing state-of-the-art health care services for more than one tenth of all patient services in Queensland. It is part of the Metro North Hospital and Health Service. It has a strong culture of research and evidence based health improvement and are recognised for research in such fields as lung cancer and respiratory illness, organ, tissue and bone marrow transplantation, cardiology and cardiac surgery, burns, trauma and intensive care, allied health, nursing, neurology, maternal medicine, neonatology, mental health, orthopaedics, and more. Metro North hosts five NHMRC-funded Centres for Research Excellence and is a partner in two. Our researchers publish an average of 1300 journal articles each year across a range of publications and fields of research. It has partnerships with more than 14 Queensland and national universities and a collaborates with the Australian Defence Force.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Lead investigators for infectious diseases research project (Gates Foundation)
- Lead investigators for haematology research project (Welcome Trust)
- Hosts for five Centres for Research Excellence
- advanced cardiopulmonary support in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- Cardiovascular outcomes
- Sustainable healthcare
- End of life delivery of care,
- Antimicrobial therapies in the ICU
- Reproductive science
- Cystic fibrosis
Facilities and major equipment
- Herston Imaging Research Facility
Number of research staff
700 plus research staff
Butterfield St & Bowen Bridge Rd, Herston QLD 4029
- Queensland Government – Agency
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.