Translational Research Institute (TRI)
Australia's Translational Research Institute (TRI) combines the intellect and resources of The University of Queensland, Mater Research, Queensland University of Technology, and Queensland Health in an innovative research, development and translation facility. Located with the Princess Alexandra Hospital and biopharmaceutical manufacturer, Patheon Biologics, TRI is developing a new generation of scientists and clinicians who can work with industry to transform Australia's international competitiveness and improve health outcomes worldwide. To this end TRI is at the interface of science, medicine and industry in preventing, diagnosing and treating human diseases.
Key science sectors
Strengths and capabilities
- Diagnostic imaging
- Translational biomedical research
- Cancer research
- Emerging technologies for diagnosing disease and trauma
- Technologies for Dermatology
- Vaccine development
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Facilities and major equipment
- Innovation and Translation Centre
- Clinical Research Facility
- Biological Research Facility
- Flow Cytometry
- Preclinical imaging
- Centre for Clinical Genomics
- PET MRI
Number of research staff
700 plus research staff
37 Kent Street , Woolloongabba, Queensland, 4102
- Professor Carolyn Mountford—Improvements in diagnostic imaging - MR spectroscopy - now used for cancer, brain tumours, neurologic and psychological disorders.
- Professor Ian Frazer—Co-inventor of the cervical cancer vaccine
- Professor Ranjeny Thomas—Developing a vaccine for rheumatoid athritis
Achievements of the centre
- New magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) that detects chemical changes in breast and brain for cancers and brain injuries.
- New treatments for autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, that target the underlying cause of the disease.
- Results from clinical trials of a vaccine for the herpes simplex virus (HSV) has performed well in Phase 1 clinical trials.
- private company
- Queensland Government – Partner
- University Research Centre
Is this your centre? See any issues? Send a request to update your listing.
Register your centre
Register your centre to be listed in this directory.